Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nothing changing

I am playing in a 3 table sat. tourny for a shot at a 250k tournament on sunday tonight. The top 5 payout, 2 getting seats in the big tournament. I get down to 7 people with an average chip stack.

The table has been pretty active with a lot of raises recently.

I am in first position with QQ and decide to get fancy with the active table.
I limp (I know I am cursing myself and calling the poker gods to come get me)

Fold,Fold,Fold, Raise +400... YES it worked....

folds back to me (except the guy to seats to my left who had $10 left)
I look down at my $2250 and try to decide to limp to the raise or push back. If I push back she probably folds and I get the $400 which I need with the blinds at 50/100. If I limp I can fold to an Ace on the flop and keep my seat, albeit short stacked. I decide that I dont want to play short stacked anymore and I am putting my money in the pot. I go all in. She thinks about it and calls, flips over AK off. The guy two seats to my left shows A10 off.

Flop
5510

Turn
J

River
KING!

Of course. I was racing from the beginning (although I was slightly ahead because of the two aces), but why do I feel like I knew that king was coming. She had me covered by about $150 chips.

The thing that gets me is her making this call. I know I cant complain about people playing badly, and I am not sure it is even a bad move, but I think it is.

I have seen this limp-all in move done a handful of times. Every single time the person has had a pair. I have never seen anyone limp-all in with AQ off. In fact 80% of the time I have seen the limp-all in move it is with AA,KK. I am seriously thinking about folding AK in that situation for my tournament life. I am not sure I can make that call...

Any ideas?

8 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

Never try to rationlize another's actions based on your beliefs, expectations, knowledge, etc.

Some people do fold AK to a limp-reraise all-in, but generally only those who've been burned by the AA/KK move.

For the most part, in a tournament, most players will gladly call an all-in with AK assuming that they are, at worst, 50/50 to win the hand.

Once again, in the late stages of a tournament, I don't try to get fancy with QQ here. Raise as usual and hope to get called by a weaker hand. Even if an A or K flops, you're either way ahead or way behind: why not get as much in pre-flop when your expectation is at its highest?

As it turns out, you got all your money in with QQ and that's all you can ask for. They don't call it gambling for nothing.

And hey, congrats on making it as far as you did! I've never made it that far in an MTT!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Nick Christy said...

While I agree with most of what you are saying, I think the better poker players look for a lot better situation to put their money in then AK. Bottom line, I dont want to work to get to the cutoff and put my money in on a coin flip. That doesnt mean I wont do it, but I am not always very happy to do it.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Donkeypuncher said...

Congrats on taking third in the baseball league. Where do you want your money sent back to you at?

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Nick Christy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Nick Christy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Nick Christy said...

Thanks Donkey,

Party Poker works, NickChristy1

Hope to beat you all again next year :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares